The Plant Tank

Monday, March 06, 2006

Cloudy water from phosphates?

  • pH: 6.8
  • Temp:
  • KH:
  • GH:
  • NH4:
  • NO2:
  • NO3: 5
  • PO4: 0.2
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: 5 mL Flourish, 5 mL iron chelate (0.5 ppm)

Notes:
Today, the water was slightly cloudy. I had dosed 0.4 ppm phosphates last night and 5 mL Flourish this morning. It was probably due to the phosphates, though it possibly could have been due to the Flourish. I'll probably just try minimizing phosphate levels for the rest of the week to see if that makes any difference in algae levels. I've been trying to keep the NO3:PO4 at a 10:1 ratio, but I'm not happy with the algae growth, so I'll try to lower the PO4 levels. I'll wait till the water clears over the next day or two, and then I'll dose another 5 mL of Flourish (but not phosphates) to determine whether the cloudy water was due to the Flourish.

I've read that excess iron levels can cause algae growth as well, but I want to try minimizing phosphate levels first before trying to lower iron levels, since the stargrass is so greedy for it. I've already reduced iron levels to about 0.5 ppm (from 2.0 ppm) after I had drastically pruned out the Rotala indica, and the stargrass seems to be mostly satisfied with the lower levels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home