The Plant Tank

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Water roots observations

  • pH:
  • Temp:
  • KH:
  • GH:
  • NH4:
  • NO2:
  • NO3: 10-20
  • PO4: 1.0
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: 5 mL Flourish, 0.25 ppm iron chelate, 1.25 ppm KNO3, 0.6 ppm KH2PO4
  • NO3:PO4 Cumulative Dosing Ratio: 22.5:2.85 = 7.9

Notes:
I noticed that for the past couple days, one of the harlequin rasboras had what looked like some sort of wound on the side of its body. It also seemed to be breathing faster than normal. I put in a dose of Melafix to see if that would help heal the "wound." I'll continue to dose it for at least a couple more days.

I noticed also that there have been a lot more water roots (roots growing from the stems) growing lately. When I was dosing more Equilibrium, adding more K/Ca/Mg, there were not nearly as many water roots growing. When I lowered the dosage (which lowered the GH from 8-9 to 5-6), the water roots started growing out again. It appears that the roots tend to grow when there is less K and/or Ca and/or Mg in the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home