The Plant Tank

Friday, April 07, 2006

Diatomaceous earth brands do differ in filtration

  • pH:
  • Temp:
  • KH:
  • GH:
  • NH4:
  • NO2:
  • NO3:
  • PO4:
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: After water change: 2.5 ppm KNO3, 1.0 ppm KH2PO4
  • NO3:PO4 Cumulative Dosing Ratio:

Notes:

Well, I finally figured out why my diatom filter was unable to filter out the green water earlier this week. I found out that different brands of diatomaceous earth do differ in their filtration ability. I asked around on different forums which brand of DE people used. After a suggestion on a forum to try "Celite Aquacel," I called around different pool supply stores till I found one that carried that brand. I bought a 10 lb bag for about $8.50. Over the past week, the water had been growing progressively hazy again, so I tried out the new brand today, and it actually filtered the green water out in about 2-3 hours! So, avoid using the "All-Clear" brand of DE, which was the first brand I tried out unsuccessfully.

60% water change:
-25 mL Amquel+
-5 tsp Equilibrium
-4 tsp baking soda
-5 capfuls of bacteria starter

Probably because the green water earlier had blocked out a lot of the light, most of the new Rotala magenta died, so I pulled it all out. I'll probably try it again when I fix the green water problem.

I also took out all the java fern, and cut off all the damaged leaves (black spots and patches), which were most of the old leaves, leaving only the small plantlets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home