The Plant Tank

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

More BGA

  • pH:
  • Temp:
  • KH: 5
  • GH: 9
  • NH4:
  • NO2:
  • NO3: 10
  • PO4: 1.5
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: 5 mL Flourish, 0.5 mL iron chelate (same for yesterday)
  • NO3:PO4 Cumulative Dosing Ratio:

Notes:
I've noticed that since I've upped the phosphates and lowered the nitrate levels, there has definitely been some increase in BGA (blue green algae, or cyanobacteria). Not too much, but it's noticeable. I want to keep the nitrate levels down, though, to see if the rotala magenta will respond favorably to the lower levels.

I was expecting a GH of 8, but it was a bit higher at 9. I had added a listtle bit more of CaCl2 (2 tsp versus the 1.8 calculated dosage), so that might have pushed it up over 8 degrees. Even though it has only been a couple days since the water change and K/Mg/Ca tweaking, the plants that had melted (A. senegalensis, L. peruensis) already seem to be recovering slowly. New leaves are starting to grow in.

I really suspect, though, that the UV had something to do with the severe deficiency/melt down. Another observation I had forgotten to mention before was that immediately after running the UV overnight last week, a couple of the A. nana leaves developed black patches/holes overnight. By the end of last week, though, each nana rhizome had grown a new leaf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home