The Plant Tank

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hooking up the TurboTwist UV sterilizer

  • pH:
  • Temp: 78
  • KH:
  • GH:
  • NH4:
  • NO2:
  • NO3:
  • PO4:
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: 7.5 ppm KNO3, 1 ppm KH2PO4
  • NO3:PO4 Cumulative Dosing Ratio:
Notes:
50% water change:
3 tsp baking soda
4 tsp Equilibrium
25 mL Amquel+
25 mL Melafix

I got the TurboTwist 6x UV sterilizer (18 watt) yesterday, and installed it today. I was debating whether to get the cheaper 9 watt version, but I finally decided that the 18 watt would be a safer choice in terms of efficacy. The slower the flow rate , the more time the sterilizer has to kill the bacteria/algae/parasites. The manual has a chart which shows that the maximum flow rate allowed to kill parasites for the 9 watt version is 55 gph. On the other hand, for the 18 watt version, the flow rate is 110 gph. The manuals are available online in pdf form.

I hooked the sterilizer up to the Eheim filter output, after the CO2 reactor, which is already plumbed in. The 18 watt version accepts a hose size of either 5/8" or 1". The Eheim filter has a hose size of 1/2", so I got some reducing couplers at Ace Hardware to connect the two different hoses. I then put on hose clamps on the hoses on each end of the couplers in order to make sure there would be no leaks. The TurboTwist gives you a choice of laying it horizontally or vertically off the tank. I decided to lay it horizontally in the hopes that it would minimize loss of water flow rate. So, far, the flow rate does not seem to be affected too much. I'm going to run it for at least 24 hours to see if I can see any difference in the tank, even though the tank is already pretty clear.


You can see the new leaves of the Echinodorus "Kleiner Bar" growing in a nice brownish red. The plant has been growing about 2 new leaves a week.

I topped and replanted some of the Limnophila hippuroides and Alternathera reineckii, which were starting to grow out of the water. I pruned the tops of the Rotala indica/rotundifolia, but left the bottom halves to regrow.

I took out one of the two mechanical filter sponges from the AquaClear filter and I added two more bags of AquaClear bacteria filter media in its place in order to boost biological filtration.

I also took out the Eheim surface extractor, since I now instead use the air pump running at night to remove the surface scum daily, and the extractor is prone to have algae grow on it. It also makes an annoying rattling sound from a valve in the extractor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home