The Plant Tank

Sunday, February 12, 2006

WEEK 6: Amazing GOOP

  • pH: 7.2
  • Temp:
  • KH: 5
  • GH:
  • NH4:
  • NO2: < 0.05
  • NO3:
  • PO4:
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: Nothing

Notes:
When I noticed that the pH was 7.2, instead of the expected 6.8, I checked the CO2 line. I saw that the CO2 line could not push the gas through the check valve between the bubble counter and the reactor. When I pulled out the line from the reactor, I ended up pulling out the airline connector that had been glued to the reactor with tank silicone sealant. I went and got some "Amazing GOOP," a glue (also called plumber's goop) from Home Depot and used that to reattach the connector to the reactor. I also reglued the connectors to the DIY bubble counter lid while I was at it. I also replaced the check valve. Hopefully, that will complete the repairs.


Here is a picture of the green eye rasbora. All of the pictures online that I've seen of the green eye rasbora use a flash which wash out the beautiful green eyes and make them look very drab. Without the flash, though, these quick swimmers become blurs, but you can at least see the beautiful green of their eyes. I'll probably borrow a digital SLR camera later to see if I can get better results.

Whenever I add a significant number of new fishes, I like to add some nitrifying "bacteria starter" to help the boost the bacteria and help the "mini-cycle" along. I don't know if it works since I've never tested it against some control tank, but it makes me feel better at least. I'm currently using the Proquatics brand. I had tried the "Cycle" brand before, but that does not seem to make any difference, whereas the Proquatics bacteria starter does seem to help cycling. With the addition of the 15 rasboras, I added roughly 30 mL of the starter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home