The Plant Tank

Saturday, March 25, 2006

System 1 diatom filter does not fit

  • pH:
  • Temp:
  • KH:
  • GH:
  • NH4:
  • NO2:
  • NO3:10 before dose
  • PO4: 0.2 before dose
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: 15 mL KNO3 (3.75 ppm), 25 mL KH2PO4 (1 ppm)
  • NO3:PO4 Cumulative Dosing Ratio: 13.75:1.2 = 11.5 (*)

Notes:
The System 1 diatom filter doesn't fit over the lip of my acrylic tank! It seems like it was fitted more for glass tanks. It also seems like very cheaply made and of flimsy quality, which is surprising given its $100 price tag. It was very easy to get running (no priming needed, no dumping of the diatom powder into the tank), as opposed to what I've read about the Vortex filter. But I don't have a choice, so I've placed an order for the Vortex filter and am going to return the System 1 filter.

50% water change:
20 mL Amquel+
5 tsp Equilibrium
2.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp epsom salts

I heavily pruned back the overgrown Rotala indica/rotundifolia, and again aggressively vacuumed the gravel. I also took out most of the Ludwigia "Cuba," which was growing too leggy on the bottom for my taste.

(*) Dosing ratio includes initial nitrate/phosphate levels measured before dosing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home