The Plant Tank

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Adding cherry shrimp/bantha fodder

  • pH:
  • Temp:
  • KH:
  • GH:
  • NH4:
  • NO2:
  • NO3: 10-20 before dose
  • PO4: 0.75 before dose
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: 5 mL Flourish, 5 mL iron chelate (0.5 ppm), 15 mL KNO3 (3.75 ppm), 20 mL KH2PO4 (0.8 ppm)
  • NO3:PO4 Cumulative Dosing Ratio: 22.5:2.6 = 8.7

Notes:
I received my order of 15 cherry shrimp today from petshrimp.com. I would highly recommend getting your shrimp from this site. The owner seems to take good care of his shrimp, he's responsive to your questions, and the prices are very reasonable. The site normally ships through USPS priority, but since I always get priority mail late, I used overnight express mail instead. The juvenile shrimp all arrived looking very energetic.

Acclimating the shrimp

They're so tiny (0.25-0.5 inch long), when I put them into the tank, they pretty much disappeared into the 60 gallon tank.

Those shrimp sure are little...

I hope the two angel fish decide not to make an expensive snack out of the shrimp. They're pretty well hidden (especially with the current green water), so I hope they'll be able to hide from the fish until they reach adult size.

Right after adding to tank

They were initially transparent when I received them, but they started to color up almost immediately after being added in the tank. Within minutes, they seem to already be busy eating away.

My husband asked to see the shrimp in the tank. I warned him that they were very small, and when he finally spotted one, he exclaimed that they were going to be bantha fodder. He then asked what they ate. I told him they fed largely on algae. He then replied that the shrimp were going to grow very well in the tank. Ha ha, very funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home