The Plant Tank

Friday, June 23, 2006

Dosing 5x Excel

  • pH:
  • Temp:
  • KH:
  • GH:
  • NH4:
  • NO2:
  • NO3: 7.5
  • PO4: 1
  • Iron:
  • Dosing: 10 mL Flourish, 25 mL Excel, 10 ppm NO3, 1 ppm PO4
  • NO3:PO4 Cumulative Dosing Ratio: 25:2.8 = 8.9

Notes:
I moved the floating Kleiner Bar sword plantlet from the end of the tank, where the spray bar was spraying new algae spores onto the plant leaves, to the center of the tank, and the brighter lighting in the center caused the new sprouting leaves to turn an even brighter red. Very pretty.

I've decided to dose about 5x the recommended dosing of Excel to the tank. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but there already looks to be slightly less algae in the tank. Now, I've also decided to try dosing just Flourish instead of the usual Flourish/iron chelate combo, so the decrease in iron might have something to do with the algae instead.

Today, I also noticed a small but noticeable burst of growth in the R. indica, L. hippuroides and H. zosterifolia. Due to the excel? Or water change?

I also noticed that the plants were still pale on parts of the leaves, especially the broad leaved plants like the A. nana, java fern and L. repens. The paleness seemed to run along the veins of the leaves. Is it because of a lack of iron?

I tried to capture it with the camera, which was difficult since the camera doesn't do well with color.

One more observation is that I don't see nearly as much of that floating short algae filaments I had described earlier in the water. It seems either due to the water change (reducing hardness) or due to the Excel, or even possibly due to less iron. I will probably start dosing iron again soon to see which if any of these observations change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home